NYC Grub Crawl and Crawl Weekend-Day 1 (Friday Night) @Sel de Mer

Friday, June 11, 2010

[This series of posts are not entirely about food!]
I wandered from my nerd-cave in Boston to NYC last weekend! Amidst last minute packing, last-minute technical engineers who scheduled a last-minute instrumentation troubleshooting session, I managed to secure a 4 pm Fungwah bus from beantown to the big apple to visit Tiff. Incidentally, my B, Tiffany Z., Ws and D scheduled a grub crawl at the same time so I was pretty excited about eating and shopping with them too! (Unfortunately, I didn't managed to join up because I was distracted with everything going around) I reached Manhattan around 8.30 pm but didn't get to Brooklyn until 9.30 pm because of interesting happenings: 
  • I helped a German couple with the subway system and missed the L train, 
  • in the train, helped a woman who fainted suddenly; this woman also awoke suddenly, jumped to her feet and ran out of the train..bizarre 
  • gained an admirer who witnessed my first-aid skills, and then proceeded to molest my cool bag (bday present from Keiko)...
  • Upon reaching my stop, I ran into the largest rats I've ever seen (cat-sized and curiously hanging out 1 foot away from me).....I heart nyc!
Anyways, once I left my bag at Tiff's and finally got a seat at Sel de Mer, it was 11 pm and the restaurant was still full. It was disconcerting but I felt out of place in Brooklyn! I had no tattoos, wasn't wearing high-waisted American Apparel outfits, had no Rayban Wayfarers, wasn't wearing thrifted or vintage gear... Ok back to the food...

Sel de Mer
374 Graham AveNew York 11211
  • (Btwn Skillman Ave & Counselyea St)
  • (718) 387-4181
Service (3.8/5.0)
Food (4.0/5.0) 
 

I liked the reasonable prices of SdM ($2 oysters) and the fresh produce the most. The food is unpretentious, Williamsburg-chill and hearty. Although service was slow and they ran out of ceviche and their famed fried green-tomatoes (bummer!), yours truly was not in a hurry + I've heard rumors of SdM's cute and talented chef Jeffrey Slagg (didn't really get to see him though). Individual reviews to follow. 

Oysters of the day, pickled watermelon mignonette. East coast Oysters on the left and West Coast Oysters on the right. Tiff and I prefered the leaner East Coasters for their briny complex taste over the meaty and regular "oystery" flavor of the West Coasters. Melon mignonette was piquant and cut through the richness of the oysters..very appetite-inducing.
Fries were over-fried and not tender enough for me. But i still ate it all. 
Special of the Day-Grilled cod on a bed of risotto with poached pear and fennel. The fish was perfectly cooked but bland. I also don't usually care for overly-sweet risottos. That said, together, the fish and the risotto complement each other and offset what I disliked about them individually....So after further thought, I do like this dish :)
Failed attempt at taking a picture with White Castle. Background was too lighted. Also in the poster... Chicken Rings?! Sounds interesting hahahh :)
A tour of Tiff's Neighborhood to walk off our midnight dinner
Hale & Hearty Soups
Calling it a (long) day!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget

Ooh Mummy! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino

Creative Commons License
Ooh Mummy! by Winnie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.