NYC Grub Crawl and Wandering Weekend-Day 2 (Saturday)

Saturday, June 12, 2010

[This series of posts are not entirely about food!]
Here's today's impromptu line-up (click to link to Yelp for addresses etc):
Saturday was hot hOT HOT!!! My friends know that precisely because I'm from Singapore, I do not tolerate heat well (hail the A/C's) so I left the apartment late. I wilted instantly. We ventured to a Polish neighborhood to get Peter Pan Bakery's red velvet pecan ice-cream sandwich donut. The ice-cream was soft and runny (I prefer cold and hard and chewy ice-cream!) and disappeared in a NY-second under the sweltering heat. Overall, I enjoyed my brekkie and I'm not even a donut person. In fact, Tina Fey told Esquire recently:
The best doughnut? That's Peter Pan doughnuts in Brooklyn. It's a Polish bakery. We shot nearby once for 30 Rock. It's a white-cream-filled powdered doughnut. And I really believe, when I first tried it, if I had a penis, I would put it in this doughnut. I finally understand what you guys are thinking about and what motivates you guys.
High praise right? I love Tina Fey! (apparently the elderly owner of PP didn't like the penis-in-the-donut part. hahahaha!)
Peter Pan comes complete with waitresses in old-school diner uniforms.
Renegade Craft Fair Brooklyn.
While exploring, we chanced upon a craft fair. I had no idea that this was such a HUGE event and when I learned that Etsy sellers put up tents, I gave a mental squeal and made a beeline towards. I have an eternal soft spot for kitsch and tchotkes. Knitted octopus, squid? I want! (but didn't get)
Amazing Handmade jewelry. I bought a brass monocle necklace (not pictured) and I want all of these. I love taxidermy too but think it's too creepy to display at home (bad Fengshui) so these metal-cast versions below are perfect :). Lazer-cut pendants like the shark and knot graphics are thin and sleek and sharp and minimize metal wastage. Nautical is a summer classic and I love the crab and seahorse!
All Handmade!!!! How talented are these people? Hahahah caped super hero fashions for children and Jersery Shore Baby Guido/Guidette Gear. "The Situation" and Snookie would be so proud! I made a mental note to go to Boston's SoWa upon my return. I MUST!
On to the Van Leeuwen Ice-cream truck, Williamsburg. The ice-cream truck was a mirage in the heat. The flavors all looked pretty darn amazing as well but of course I had to get the EARL-GREY ice-cream.
Rishi Black Tea from Antique Tea Trees with Bergamot Citrus, Italy and Yunnan.
OMG this flavor wasn't even on their website so if you have to binge on this all summer, DO IT! My favorite frozen treat wasn't too sweet, which allowed the delicate flavor of the immensely fragrant bergamot (which gives Earl Grey its ambrosia) to peek through the cream. Another feat, it helped to quench my thirst instead of contributing to it. Van Leeuwen, I might have to relocate to NYC to get closer to you. 
La Menu at Num Pang's.
This little cambodian sandwich joint has been favorably-reviewed by
seriouseats, NYMag and is close to Parson's. Plus it's cheap too :) and if the spiciness isn't enough, there are ample bottles of Sriracha chilli sauce lying around for added heat. 
five spiced pork belly, pickled Rhubarb.
Genius combination. Pickled rhubard and veggies gave tart and crunch, cutting through the perfectly-spiced and pork belly. The rolls, from Parisi bakery were perfectly toasted (soft on the inside with a delicate crust on the outside) and mopped up all of the glorious sauce....
Peppercorn catfish, house made sweet soy sauce.
Perfectly grilled, perfectly spiced catfish was flaky and tender. 
Seasonal Pomegranate Fro-yo with raspberries, pineapple, blackberries, mochi and cheesecake @ Ktown
While waiting to get some Lamb plate at 53rd and 6th, we had some active bacteria to aid in digesting all the food. Psychologically, Pinkberry helped me get rid of the bloat but in the end I wasn't up for greasy street food in the end. My gut. Fail?
We went back to binge on Bok Choy, bean sprouts, fish cake and tofu for dinner. My gut is recharged for Sunday!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget

Ooh Mummy! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino

Creative Commons License
Ooh Mummy! by Winnie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.